Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Best Friends

Some people go their entire life without have one true best friend.  My daughter has several she refers to as her best friend but I've had only one in my lifetime.  I met her when we were in the 11th grade.  From the moment we met, we hung out together all the time.  Her name is Sue.

She had a car and could drive so she took me places.  Her car was a Dodge Swinger.  It was a pea green color.  You had to fasten the seat belts together all the time or it would buzz really loud.  This was in the day and age before it was mandatory so when you climbed into the car, the seat beat, which was just a lap belt back then, was already fastened and in the seat so you had to sit on it. 

The radio in the car didn't work so there was a transistor radio that sat in the front seat in the middle.  The antenna was a coat hanger.  But we didn't care.  It was a car and it got you from point A to point B.  Not like nowadays when kids want "cool" cars and won't settle for anything less. 

Even though we no longer live by each other, we still communicate almost daily.  She's my facebook friend and we text and email.  Rarely do we actually talk but we do get together every couple of months and do something, usually go out to lunch or dinner.  Food seems to be a big part of our life.

Over the years we have had arguments and disagreements but when the going gets tough, she is in my corner and I'm in hers.  We can be brutally honest with each other and even though it hurts sometimes, we need to hear it, even if we agree to disagree.

This past March we went on a 8 day vacation to California.  We had so much fun and it was wonderful spending so much time with her.  I hope we can do it again someday, once we get this one paid off :)

I love you Suzie! 

No comments:

Post a Comment