Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Fake or Faux?

Twitter update:  378 followers

Around two years ago at this very same time of year I got my first set of fake fingernails.  I reasoned that, being an author, doing book signings, I needed to have nice nails.  So I kept up with it for two years, going every 3 to 4 weeks for a fill and a color change.  I tried the acrylic, and the gel; the regular nail polish and the air brushing; the fancy tips and the not so fancy tips.  At Christmas I even kicked it up a notch and did both red and green sparkly, one red, one green, one red, etc.  You get the picture.  My nails have always been a big part of R. K. Avery and I love the sparkles!

I was due for a fill last week and I didn't feel like going.  When I first started, it was a treat, getting pampered for the hour or so I was at the nail salon but the last six months or so, it has felt like a chore; a very expensive chore and the longer it went, the more I hated going.  So on Thursday evening, my daughter and I ripped off all my fake nails.  It was a great reunion, seeing my actual nails after two long years but they were in sad shape.  Very thin and rough, at first I didn't know if they were salvagable.  And the skin just under the nail was so sensitive, I actually thought I was going to be heading to the nail salon for a new set. 

But I got out the clippers and trimmed them down as far as I could, then I used the nail file and tried to smooth down the surface.  Of course this made them even thinner but at least they weren't as rough.  Then I applied a layer of clear polish which added back a little bit of shine because they were dull, dull, dull.  On top of that I applied a layer of purple polish, followed by another layer of purple polish.  Not finished yet.  Then I added a layer of sparkles.  It was actually clear polish with sparkles in it.  The sparkles kinda hide the other blemishes that I couldn't remove with the nail file.  So here is a picture of the finished product:


Now it has been a few days.  I have several hang nails which I never had with the fake nails.  The polish also seems to chip really easy.  Does anyone know a way around this?

For now, I guess you have to take the good with the bad.  At least I don't have to spend $25 - $40 every few weeks to get them done.

May life hand you a lot of sparkle moments!

R. K. Avery
www.rkaverybooks.com
@RKAvery1

No comments:

Post a Comment