Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Turkey Chili With A Tang

Autumn is a wonderful time to cook, bake, stew, anything that makes your house smell wonderful.  Throw some ingredients into a pot and make some homemade soup.  So good for you and knowing soup is simmering on the stove gives you something to look forward to.

This past weekend my husband made a batch of his famous Turkey Chili With A Tang.  I am not a red meat eater so anytime you can replace an ingredient with turkey or chicken, I am all for it.  The house smelled fabulous and he made enough that I can have it for lunch several times this week.  One thing I like about his chili is it is not really chunky.  I like my chili like soup, some chunks but also some of that chili flavored broth so the crackers have something to soak up.  Yum, yum!



But it is hot!  Oh my goodness my nose was running while I tried to eat it.  To cut down on the hotness, you can put some grated mozzarella cheese in or a spoon full of sour cream.  Of course since I am dieting, I did neither but I did eat 17 pint sized crackers (yes I counted them - 17 is one serving).  I also ate mine with a dash of yellow mustard from the bottle (the same kind you put on hot dogs) and some raw onion on the side.  The raw onion was from our garden so it was hot as well.  I just like mine hot and spicy. 

Anyway, for those of you who like to cook, here is the recipe.  I know it looks like a lot of ingredients but it makes so much so it's well worth it.   Make sure you use a big pot!

Turkey Chili with a Tang

Ingredients
4 tablespoons canola oil
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
3 jalapeno peppers, minced (remove the seeds for less heat)
9 cloves of garlic, minced
2 small red onions, diced
3 pounds of coarsely ground turkey
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 29 oz can tomato sauce
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
3 16 oz cans pinto beans with liquid
2 30 oz cans kidney beans with liquid
2 16 oz cans black beans with liquid

Warm the oil in a large pot over high heat.  Add the bell peppers, jalapenos, garlic and onions.  Cook until caramelized, about 8 minutes.  Add the turkey and gently stir, trying not to break up the meat too much.  Cook until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.

Add the tomato paste and sauce.  Stir for 4 minutes then add the chicken broth.  Add the chili powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne, salt and black pepper.  Stir in the beans and their liquid, lower the heat and cook, uncovered, for at least 1 hour. 

Prep time – 30 minutes
Cook time – 1 hour 20 minutes
Serves 10 – 15 people

If you make it, drop me a note and let me know how you liked it.

Bon appetit!

R. K. Avery
www.rkaverybooks.com
@rkavery1

No comments:

Post a Comment