Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Annual Diet is Here

Every year for as long as I can remember (going on 20+ years) I have put myself on an annual diet from Labor Day to Thanksgiving Day.  The first time I did it I actually went to a diet center.  I followed their plan for 8 weeks and was able to lose 30 pounds.  It wasn't the absolute best and the calorie count was extremely low, but it worked for me and I was able to keep it off for quite awhile.  I walked and walked and walked, ever conscious of each bite I took and how many calories I was consuming.  I'm not going to say I was perfect and I did splurge from time-to-time but I was pretty successful for a few years. 


Then I got lazy and the pounds started creeping back on.  I would vow when I gained five pounds I would diet to lose the five pounds and that worked for a couple months but I grew tired of the eating - not eating - eating - not eating.  I know it is supposed to be a lifestyle change, not just a diet, but I enjoy food too much. 

Then I decided I would diet all through the week and enjoy my weekends.  This didn't work at all.  Too many lunches out with co-workers.  So the weight slowly creeped back on which is when I decided to commit to an annual diet, from Labor Day to Thanksgiving Day.  My hope was to lose 25 to 30 pounds every year during this time which would allow me to enjoy myself the rest of the year.  Again, I know fluctuating your weight 25 to 30 pounds a year is not healthy but like I said, I enjoy eating too much to give everything up.  Eating in moderation never worked for me.

So, I begin again on my quest to find the mini-me that has been gobbled up by the bigger me.  I long to wear a smaller size, or even to wear the size I have in my closet in comfort.  I long to be able to climb a flight of stairs without feeling like I'm dying at the top.  I long to be able to eat a good meal, feel satisfied, but not sick. 

Hopefully I can keep you updated of my progress.  Hopefully my progress will be worth updating.  All I know is I weighed myself yesterday morning and I was heavier than I was 9 months pregnant - the day I delivered my daughter.  That, to me, is unacceptable.

I saw a saying once:  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.  I know that to be true but why can't I convince my brain?

I can do this!

R. K. Avery
www.rkaverybooks.com



No comments:

Post a Comment