Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Bottoms Up!

Diet update - Week 1 - I lost a total of 5 pounds.  Typically the first week is the best for losing weight as you give up just about everything that was making you gain.  Plus, when I diet, I drink a lot more water and that is so important.


I'm typically not a water drinker even though I know it is good for you.  Water has so many benefits.  I have listed just a few below that I got from the website:  http://www.webmd.com

1.  Drinking water helps maintain the balance of body fluids.  Your body is composed of about 60% water which is used for so many things.  It helps with digestion, absorption, circulation, creation of saliva, and it also helps you maintain your body temperature. 

When you are low on fluids, the brain triggers the body's thirst mechanism and when this happens, listen to your body and get something to drink.  Anything will work, except alcohol.

2.  Water can help control calories.  I know this works for me.  When I diet, like I mentioned above, I tend to drink more water, replacing the other beverages I would normally drink, with a glass of ice cold water.  Not only that but it seems the more water you drink, the more water your body wants.  Another thing I've noticed, too, is it seems if I'm craving a snack or something, if I drink a glass of water, that seems to help curb my appetite.

3.  Water helps energize muscles.  Research says when muscle cells don't have adequate fluids, they don't work as well and may cause fatigue.  It also helps with your metabolism.   

4.  Water keeps your skin looking good.  Dehydration causes your skin to look more dry and wrinkled.  Drinking more water may help you look younger.  I'm all for that!

5.  Water helps your kidneys.  Your kidneys do an amazing job of filtering and ridding your body of excess toxins but they need plenty of fluids to help them do what they are supposed to do. 

So then the question that entered my mind was, can a person drink too much water?  Surprisingly the answer is yes.  I am not a medical professional but what I gathered from reading a few articles was if you drink too much water, it actually flushes your body of some of the things it needs, like sodium.  When sodium is depleted, it can rupture cells and things like headaches, vomiting, and disorientation may result.  That being said, it is pretty difficult to drink too much water.  However please keep in mind drinking too much water in rapid succession can prove to be fatal and should be avoided.   So if your buddy dares you to drink 2 gallons of water in 15 minutes, put the water down, step away from the table and no one gets hurt!

Who knew?  Our bodies are amazing aren't they?

Have a great day and drink up -- but not too much.

R. K. Avery
www.rkaverybooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment