This month I reached a milestone with my employer. I have been working for the same employer for 10 years. I know in this day and age, it is uncommon to work for the same company for a long time. I know several people who have jobs, who like their jobs, but are always looking for the next job, or the next opportunity, or a way to make more money. Sometimes the only way to make more money is by switching employers or switching jobs.
I like what I do and I have no plans of leaving anytime soon but this got me to thinking. What is the average number of jobs a person has in their lifetime? I'm not sure if every job is counted but the statistics I found stated the average man works 11.4 jobs and the average woman has 10.7 jobs. Here is a rundown on all the jobs I have had to see if the statistics are correct:
1. I had a paper route - 2 years
2. I worked at a party center washing dishes - 1 year
3. I worked in retail - 4 years
4. I was an Office Manager at a condominium management company - 2 1/2 years
5. I worked in Human Resources at a scrap metal company - 11 years
6. I did payroll/human resources at a commercial real estate company - 3 1/2 years
7. I have the job I have now, doing payroll and other financial tasks for a health insurance company - 10 years
Okay, that equals 8 jobs. I guess I am not normal. Time to turn in my resignation. I need two more jobs for the statistics to be right. Wait a minute. Dogsitter and mother. There -- I'm good.
Have a great day and may you love what you do!
R. K. Avery