Thursday, August 29, 2013

Good Luck or Bad Luck?

Today when I pulled into the drive-thru line at my first stop of the day to get my daily dose of caffeine, a black cat ran across my path.  Me, being an animal lover, am always taken off guard when a domestic animal of any sort is out roaming around.  I have to quell the urge to stop my car immediately and try and rescue them.  I once stopped my car and picked up a German Shepherd that was standing in the middle of my street.  I took him home and my husband said, "Why did you kidnap the neighbors dog?"  I took said dog back and deposited him right where I found him, but on the side of the road.  I didn't want my good intentions to get me in trouble for dog-napping.


Anyway, after the black cat disappeared into the night, I started thinking about black cats and why some people think a black cat crossing your path is a sign of bad luck.  Of course I knew nothing on the subject so I had to do a little research.  Turns out it dates back to the 1560's when stories of witches and trickery were running rampant. 

One story stated where a man and his son were walking and a black cat crossed their path.  They threw stones at it and finally, it limped away to find rescue in its owners house, who was a well known witch in the area.  The next day, the witch came out of her house, bruised and limping which started the rumor that a witch can transform themselves into a black cat so they could go unnoticed as they prowled the streets during the Salem Witch Hunts.

Today I don't think many people buy into the superstition but I have heard animal shelters refuse to adopt out black cats around Halloween for reasons I'd rather not think about.  It is interesting to note in some cultures a black cat is given as a wedding gift which is thought to bring good luck to the bride. 

Regardless, I personally believe a person creates their own luck.  I has nothing to do with a black cat, a lucky penny or breaking a mirror.  I hope your day is filled with happiness and a little luck.

R. K. Avery
www.rkaverybooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment