Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Origin of St. Nicholas Day

St. Nicholas Day is celebrated on December 6th and even though it’s not widely celebrated in the United States, in Northern Europe St. Nicholas Day it is a really big deal. Traditional celebrations include gifts left in children’s shoes which many say is where we got the idea for stockings from.

Good children receive treats – candies, cookies, apples and nuts – while naughty children receive lumps of coal. In Germany, children still put a shoe outside their bedroom doors on the eve of Saint Nicholas Day, and hope to find candy, coins and maybe a small gift in them on Dec. 6. In the Netherlands, children put their shoes in front of their chimneys in hopes of finding chocolate or a small toy in their shoe when they wake.


Can I just say ewwww?  Candy and cookies left in stinky shoes?  No thank you.  I will stick with our traditions that don’t involve making me gag. 

Regardless, celebrate however you like but if you ask me if I’d like a piece of candy, I may think twice!

R. K. Avery
www.rkaverybooks.com
@RKAvery1

No comments:

Post a Comment