Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Childhood Friends Are The Best

Follow me on twitter @RKAvery1 

I would like to send a SHOUT OUT to two of my childhood friends.

Debbie used to live down the street from me about three houses and then across the road.  She was the same age as me and we went through elementary school together.  In five years we were only in the same class twice.  We both liked the same boy at one point (Mike Hendricks) but that didn't come between us.  We had a "cat call" that we used to see if each other was home.  All we did was go outside and make this funny scream.  If I heard it or if she heard it we would reciprocate and send it back and then we knew it was time to play.  They had an Alaskan Eskimo dog named Blaze.  I still remember those ice blue eyes.  She moved to Florida at one point but was back a year later but lived in a different neighborhood.  I still saw quite a lot of her and we both were wild about Shaun Cassidy.  We even saw him in concert.  How funny is that!

Yvonne lived on the same side of the street that we lived on.  There was one house between us where the Valentine's lived.  Even though Yvonne was two years younger than me, we had a lot in common.  Her mom and dad were from West Virginia and they liked Beagles, just like my mom and dad.  They had a swimming pool for a while but once the side busted open and the water flooded their backyard.  She had a chihuahua named Becky and we used to dress her up in doll clothes.  Poor Becky.  She was such a trooper.  We moved away to another neighborhood and left Yvonne behind but we still talk from time-to-time and I look forward to getting her Christmas card every year.   

I usually don't mention names in my posts and if I do, I don't mention last names to protect the privacy of those I speak about.  But both of you know who you are.  I have known you since I was 4 years old and I still consider you some of my closest friends.

Love you!

R. K. Avery
www.rkaverybooks.com
@RKAvery1

No comments:

Post a Comment