Thursday, November 14, 2013

Holiday Decorations...When is Too Early?

Each year it seems the holiday decorations come out earlier and earlier in the stores.  I still haven’t decided how I feel about this.  On the one hand, Christmas is my favorite time of year and I love all the decorations.  In my own house I put up three full size trees and many other Christmas decorations. 

I love snowmen so there is a rule in my house that at least one snowman must be in each room.  How can you not love snowmen?  They are so cute and always look so happy.  I actually have a snowman room in my house that stays up year round. 



Pictures of snowmen are on the walls and I have a curio cabinet stuffed full of snowmen.  In that room I actually put up a snowman tree; all 300 ornaments are snowmen of some sort mostly purchased as souvenirs during our vacations and travels.  The tree skirt has a snowman on it and of course the tree topper is a snowman head.  The tree comes down but all the rest stays up. 


We actually put up smaller trees in three other rooms; my sons room, my daughters room, and we have a palm tree in our room that I decorate with lights and ornaments.  Garland of some type always adorns the railings and we have a lighted double sided wreath about 4 foot wide and 4 foot tall that hangs in a large window in our foyer.  We actually made it ourselves attaching two wreaths together. 

Now, all of that being said, I start decorating for the holidays the weekend after Thanksgiving and typically start taking things down the first or second weekend in January.  Because we put up so much stuff, I want to enjoy it for as long as possible.  It doesn’t go up in an hour and it surely doesn’t come down in an hour either.  Plus, we usually have people over all throughout December so there is a reason why we tend to go overboard a bit with the decorations.

However, I do love the harvest colors; red, gold, yellow and orange.   So we decorate for Halloween and Thanksgiving with a fall wreath on the door and a beautiful centerpiece on the dining room table.  I have pumpkins, gourds and candles sitting on the mantel as well as a stuffed turkey and a knick knack that says “GIVE THANKS.”


So, that’s my message for this blog.  Decorate when you feel like it and you don’t have to justify it to anyone.  Just remember the reason for the season is the birth of Jesus so GIVE THANKS in all that you do.



R. K. Avery
@RKAvery1

No comments:

Post a Comment