Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A Blast From Summertime's Past

I am always amazed how hearing or smelling something can immediately take you back to another time and another place.  It happens when an old song comes on the radio.  I can remember where I was, how old I was and what I was doing the first time I heard it.  One song that immediately comes to mind when I think of this is Rosanna by Toto.  I can remember driving to school in my gold Camaro my senior year of high school, windows rolled down, radio blaring and hearing it on the radio. 

All I wanna do when I wake up in the morning is see your eyes
Rosanna, Rosanna
I never thought a girl like you could ever care for me, Rosanna

and on it goes.  For those of you who remember that song, I bet you just sang it in your head.  It's okay.  I did the same thing.

The minute I smell Coppertone I am transported back to when my family and I would go to the beach.  Living in Northeast Ohio, the ocean is not near but we do have the Great Lakes and several wonderful beaches.  Playing in the sand with my older sister while mom and dad watched with a dutiful eye.


Then you have the smell of charcoal.  I love it!  When I smell it I am reminded of when I was young and the first cookout of the summer season - hamburgers, hot dogs, and more side dishes and condiments than you can imagine.  Cookouts were one of the few times we were allowed to have actual soda pop.  Mom would bring a bottle of RC cola out, crack the lid open and that wonderful brown liquid would splash over ice cubes while my mouth watered waiting for the first taste.  We weren't raised like the kids of today.  Soda pop was only for special occasions and they all came in glass bottles.  When you bought them you had to pay a deposit for the bottles and when they were empty, you took them back to store and got your deposit back so they could be recycled and refilled.   



I remember so many mornings waking up in my bed with the windows cranked wide open as the curtains billowed with the breeze.  We didn't have air conditioning so this was the only way to keep cool.  The sound of robins chirping meant it was summer vacation and the whole day lay ahead and we could do whatever we wanted.  We went outside until lunchtime and then came in only long enough to eat.  The outdoors was our playground - riding bikes, playing hopscotch, swinging on the swing set and playing kickball. 

When you are young you can't wait to grow up.  When you are older you wish you could go back.  Enjoy each minute and make as many memories as you can. 

R. K. Avery
www.rkaverybooks.com
@RKAvery1

No comments:

Post a Comment